What can be done to enforce a child support order?

On behalf of Stange Law Firm, PC posted in support on Thursday, April 18, 2019.

Children have the right to be supported by both of their parents. Whether you are paying child support or collecting it, you may have questions about the enforcement process and what you can do to address your concerns.

Various methods can be used to ensure that a parent pays the child support they owe. Child support enforcement measures can include withholding income; intercepting state and federal tax returns; credit reporting of past due and unpaid child support; filing liens on the personal or real property of the non-paying parent; suspension of a driver’s license, professional license or other type of license; contempt or criminal nonsupport charges; or other measures, depending on the circumstances.

It is important that parents pay the child support they owe, however, when a parent is unable to pay the support they owe, resources are available to help them. A child support modification may be granted in circumstances where a parent or child has experienced a significant change in circumstances. A modification request can be made by either parent. It is helpful to act fast when the parent knows that they might need a modification, so they can continue to abide by the existing order until any changes are made by the family law court.

Missouri provides a variety of legal resources available to parents to address their child support needs and concerns. Parents should be familiar with these resources and how they can help them with the challenges they face. A lawyer with experience in family law can help parents with many issues in child support, including requesting modifications or seeking out enforcement.

Related Posts